I love finding healthier ways to indulge. I hate to admit it but I have a crazy sweet tooth and typically have some sort of sweet treat daily. Being a dietitian I’m always looking for healthier ways to quench my cravings, and it almost always includes dark chocolate (insert heart eyes). These Healthier Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are free of processed vegetable oils and refined sugars that are found in most muffin recipes. Enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup (can use honey or agave- depends on taste preference and amount of sweetness)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Sprinkle of salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (grease or line muffin pan, recipe makes about 24 small muffins)
3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, applesauce, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, and almond milk, mix until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffins tins. Transfer to the oven and bake for 18 minutes.
5. Enjoy a bit of guilt-free indulgence