Fall is the best season. Boots are the best shoes. Spiked hot chocolate is better than regular hot chocolate. These are facts.
If I had it my way, we would skip directly from May to mid-September every year. So I am just about jumping out of my fleece-lined leggings and oversized men’s flannel with joy at the start of the fall season. Read on for some of my must-do’s for autumn in the nation’s capital.
- Grab a bottle of red wine and few Broodjes sandwiches and have a picnic in Rock Creek Park. Discretely drink the wine out of an improvised mitten coozy.
- Go on long walks through Georgetown and ogle the Halloween decorations. Those folks do not mess around.
- Drink hot Irish coffees with fresh whipped cream at Martin’s Tavern on a chilly day.
- Stake out my spot on the 17th Street sidewalk on the last Tuesday in October to cheer on the drag queens at the Annual High Heel Drag Race. Wonder out loud how they are so agile in stilettos.
- Throw together a Halloween costume 6 hours in advance, avoid the Nightmare on M Street Bar Crawl like the plague, and hole up in the Gibson speakeasy with a stiff Old Fashioned until it’s all over.
- Spend the day at one of the dozens of FREE street fairs that go down in September – Adams Morgan Day (Sept 11), H Street Festival (Sept 17), DC VegFest (Sept 24), and Turkish Festival (Sept 25) for starters.
Labor Day is over, folks. Embrace the new season and BRING ON AUTUMN!