If you have never heard of Duke’s Grocery, shame on you and let me help you.
If you have heard of Duke’s Grocery but have never been, you are missing out on some seriously delicious food made with love, high quality ingredients, served in an atmosphere that is vibrant, full of fun people, and just boisterous enough that the cheesy couple in the corner can’t share love stories and make out while we all Instagram their “special moment.”
Seriously, I begrudgingly writing this as I love Duke’s and already don’t like the usual wait they have. But mainly because I’m a big fan of co-owner and Chef Alex McCoy, the GM/co-owner Daniel who is everyone’s best friend (and you future best friend if you’re not a chuckle f@#k), and Carly who will not tolerate your crap. So behave now that you are aware of this amazing place.
Here are 17 reasons why Duke’s Grocery should become your new neighborhood haunt.
1. It’s centrally located for brunch, dinner before hitting 14th Street, a night cap on the way home, a happy hour after work, or a cup of coffee as you walk to K street.
2. This “Brick Lane salt beef sarine.”
3. They have cider beer, in a can, that turns into a magic potion when you add a shot of whiskey into the can.
4. Their menu changes daily, has something for everyone, and their portions are huge.
5. This is their Italian-style sandwich called “The Genoan”
6. These house made pickles.
7. They have outdoor seating that is street level on 17th Street NW which provides epic people watching.
8. This chicken liver toast.
9. Chef Alex McCoy produces culinary wizardry from this tiny open kitchen.
10. They provide “a taste of East London in East Dupont.”
11. This is their smoked trout rillettes.
12. They offer a proper English breakfast which includes; eggs, rashers (proper English bacon), toast, “bangers” (sausage), black/blood pudding, tin beans, roasted tomatoes and braised mushrooms.
13. This truffle mac n’ cheese.
14. They always have an epic playlist on (Passion Pit, MGMT, Arcade Fire, etc)
15. This is their version of a cinnamon bun.
16. Bottomless weekend Bloody Marys and mimosas for $15.
17. Because Chef Alex and Daniel are honestly two of the nicest guys in the business today. The restaurant industry is tough; and in a competitive area like Dupont/Logan, it’s even harder. Providing high quality, locally sourced, fresh ingredients to consumers at a reasonable price and with a smile deserves to be recognized. Because it’s not everyday Chefs and owners alike genuinely do what they do because they like to make people happy. Because you put too much processed crap in your system and you deserve a high quality affordable meal. Because supporting locally owned and operating businesses is the right thing to do. Because their food is damn good!
Duke’s Grocery: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram