I have a strict ten-ingredient max when it comes to cooking. I don’t have time to try to decipher between cilantro, coriander, and parsley in the middle of Whole Foods when there are organic peanuts to be ground into $120 peanut butter, and ain’t nobody got time for a two-trip grocery haul when you live on the 15th floor.
That said, I love Brussels sprouts and thus this recipe, by association. It’s an easy dish that packs enough flavor to run within the ranks of buff-chick dip and boneless wings, yet is actually vegan, plant-based, and a whopping seven ingredients. Use the recipe below to win this year’s potluck contribution.
Recipe: Honey Harissa + Sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash Brussels sprouts and cut them into halves.
- In a bowl, mix halved sprouts with EVOO, salt, pepper, and lemon.
- Cover cooking tray with EVOO or cooking spray. Add Brussels sprouts and drizzle with more EVOO. Once the oven has heated, bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- While the sprouts are cooking, combine a half cup of harissa and a tablespoon of honey in a serving bowl and mix until dip becomes a consistent texture.
- Once sprouts are roasted — marked by being browned on the inside and tender throughout — finish them off with rock salt and add to serving plate.
- Optional: mix a one-quarter cup of water with two tablespoons of honey and heat for a minute in the microwave, then drizzle, while hot, on top of sprouts before serving. Not recommended if looking to avoid sticky fingers!
Total prep time: 15 minutes
Total cook time: 40 minutes
Enjoy, and make sure to tag @hungrylobbyist in the finished product — we’d love to see it!
All photography provided by Abby Colby.