It’s time to announce the winners for DC’s annual Food Prom aka the 35th Annual RAMMY Awards, where top foodservice industry professionals and their fans gathered at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on July 30 as the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington (RAMW) announced winners in 21 award categories.
The selection process for the winners involved two esteemed groups, the voting public and an anonymous panel of volunteer judges, consisting of food and dining journalists, educators and foodservice industry professionals. The voting public decided the winners in four categories: Favorite Gathering Place of the Year, Upscale Brunch, Casual Brunch and Favorite Fast Bites.
I walked the red carpet, schmoozed with the areas finest food industry people, and teamed up with Chef Tom Cunanan of Bad Saint to bring you some festive photos of the evening.
And the winners are….
- Duke Zeibert Capital Achievement Award: Knightsbridge Restaurant Group founder Ashok Bajaj
- Employee of the Year: Joseph Cassis, Passionfish/Bethesda
- Restaurant Manager of the Year: John Grace, The Hamilton
- Rising Culinary Star of the Year: Ryan Ratino, Ripple
- Regional Food and Beverage Producer of the Year: DC Brau Brewing Co.
- Favorite Gathering Place of the Year: Pearl Dive Oyster Palace
- Upscale Brunch: Convivial
- Casual Brunch: Republic
- Favorite Fast Bites: Cava Grill
- Upscale Casual Restaurant of the Year: Proof
- Casual Restaurant of the Year: Compass Rose Bar and Kitchen
- Beer Program of the Year: Jack Rose Dining Saloon
- Cocktail Program of the Year: Kapnos
- Wine Program of the Year: Charlie Palmer Steak
- Joan Hisaoka Allied Member of the Year: Acme Paper and Supply Co.
- Pastry Chef of the Year: Jemil Gadea, Masseria
- Formal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: Minibar by José Andrés
- Service Program of the Year: The Source by Wolfgang Puck
- New Restaurant of the Year: Hazel
- Restaurateur of the Year: Ike Grigoropoulos, Dimitri Moshovitis, Ted Xenohristos, Brett Schulman, Cava Group, Inc
- Chef of the Year: Tarver King, The Restaurant at Patowmack Farm
The evening started with a reception of cocktails, oysters, cheese and snacks as the attendees mingled and walked the red carpet.